By working together in collaboration with all local authorities of England & Wales, the LANTERNS project aims to answer reliably the important question of whether reducing night-time streetlight for environmental and energy reasons, has any impact on road traffic crashes and crime.
- Collate information across the country on streetlight reduction schemes
- Statistically examine whether reduced streetlight at night has any effect on road traffic crashes and crime
- Explore public opinion on streetlight provision and the potential for reducing streetlight at night
- Investigate whether streetlight reduction schemes offer value for money
- Create a resource for all local authorities interested in implementing streetlight reduction schemes